Is Your Voice Sustainable?

 Monday, July 9, 2012

     These days the term “sustainable” is used in many contexts.  And, I admit that there are some instances that I don't know what "sustainable" would actually look like.  But, recently I heard Michael Pollan define it so well.  I am paraphrasing, but it goes something like this:


                                            We cannot continue this way.  


     Whether it's regarding energy, farming, manufacturing, or any other practice, we want to know that what we're doing can be replicated, over and over, with an endless supply, without causing harm.  


     So, in light of this, have you ever considered your own voice--your vocal chords?


     My background in music includes several years of vocal training.  I have been singing since I was a little girl.  And, in college I minored in vocal performance.  My primary objective in doing so was to protect and preserve my voice.  


     To some I may have appeared persnickety or taking myself too seriously.  But, my instrument, my voice, was something to be cherished and nurtured.  And, thankfully, along the way I encountered people like myself who thrived on best practices of the profession and went to great lengths to take care of their voice.


    In my singing circles there were firsthand accounts and urban legends about strange events involving the human voice.  There were stories of unusual feats, quirky abilities, and---(gasp)


damaged vocal cords. 


     For instance, have you ever wondered if it's possible to shatter a wine glass only using the sound waves of a voice?   Well, I'm here to tell you that, yes, it's possible!  A first soprano from my church did it.  --A shout out to Barbara!  --You know who you are! 


     In the 90's my friends and I were obsessed with Mariah Carey's unorthodox range.  At the time she was rumored to have SEVEN octaves.   Many believed that report, but those familiar with the abilities of the human voice know better.  It's impossible!  I recently looked it up, and according to Wikipedia, she apparently had (perhaps still has) a FIVE octave range.


     There was a guy in my college singing group who told us about the time he was singing and burst a vocal chord--with blood spewing (projectile) out his mouth.  I suspect that it was caused by his constricting his vocal chords and powering from his chest.  --The neck and face must be relaxed to produce a quality, safe sound.  And, the sound must also be powered from the diaphragm, not the chest.


     The most impactful stories were those of the singers who had developed--(gasp, again) nodes.  


     Even today, I shudder at the thought of it.  I remember hearing true stories about the singers who got nodes, and their voices were forever changed.  When I was in high school, I heard that Contemporary Christian artist, Trace Balin developed nodes.  And as a result, her voice became deep and raspy.   


      There are tips and techniques that professionals employ to prevent damage.  If you suspect a problem, keep in mind that pain and change in voice quality could mean overuse, damage, and illness.  


     Here are some simple things to get you started on protecting and preserving your voice. 

#1 No Pain
     The first thing to keep in mind is that using your voice properly shouldn't hurt.  If any part of your throat, neck, or face hurts during or after using your voice, there's a problem.  The root of the issue could be lack of hydration, tension, constriction, overuse, etc.  


#2 Hydration
     Keeping your voice well-hydrated is a great proactive step.  The vocal cords are two folds facing each other.  By hydrating them, you prevent them from rubbing against each other and becoming damaged.  Because everyone's body is different, there is no set amount of how much water to drink.  However, I was told in a college music class that one hour of talk equals one glass of water expended.  And, proper vocal management means that you always want to be sufficiently hydrated.  That's why I continue to drink water throughout the day and night to ensure there are no deficits.


#3 Warm-Up
     It's good to gradually warm-up your voice when you wake-up in the morning, as well as other times during extended periods of non-use.  This is especially true when you are about to teach, give a presentation, etc.  Although there are different methods of warming-up the voice, simply speaking in a gentle, natural manner for several minutes is a good way to prepare for non-singing, speaking activities.  After doing this for a few minutes, gradually project louder, moving in various ranges, as it is comfortable. 


#4 Avoid Sneezing and Laughing Loudly
     I'm not saying, don't sneeze and laugh.  But, I am saying that you should keep the noise down because doing so loudly can cause damage.  Have you ever sneezed or laughed so loud that you felt discomfort in your throat?  That's the sign that it was too loud.


     Your voice is a precious resource, and I want to help you steward it well.  Look for upcoming posts with more vocal management tips! : )

1 comments:

kjgatlin July 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM  

Excellent, Amanda. You told me a lot of things I didn't know. I'm not a singer as you are, but it's always good to know the correct things to do to take care of the wonderful resources God has given us. Thank you for sharing the tips. I look forward to learning more.

Post a Comment

Words of Life

This blog is a snapshot of my life as a born-again woman who has been walking with the Lord since I was a teenager.

I had the privilege of living in Israel for two years where I worked and attended graduate school. That experience enriched and transformed my faith.

The impact of living in the land of the Bible was so profound that I wanted to share my insights with others.

My writing is from a Hebraic, spirit-filled perspective that highlights the application of biblical principles.

It is my desire that those who read my entries will be strengthened and stabilized in their walk with the Lord.

Welcome

Thank you for stopping by! : ) If you are seeking a change in career, ministry, etc. and would like to read along as I document my journey, I suggest that you start with my first post.

Please email me with questions and comments that you might have. Also, if there is a particular topic that you would like for me to write about let me know.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP