Sustaining Your Voice

 Sunday, August 19, 2012


Perhaps you've wondered:  Is it proper technique to clear your throat?  When presenting or singing, is it OK to bend over towards the audience?  How do you pronounce the articles a and the?  Is it, Give me a (“ay”) break, or Give me a (“uh”) break? 

Here are the answers:

Avoid Clearing Your Throat
Avoid clearing your throat (audibly).  Audibly clearing your throat is detrimental to your vocal cords.  There is a way to clear your throat called "the silent cough" where there is no sound made while clearing your throat.  It’s a mix between swallowing and clearing your sinus passages—at the same time.  Another safe way to clear your throat is by drinking water.  

Keep Your Body Erect
Refrain from bending at the waist, which is a no-no in singing.  It constricts the diaphragm.  And, with all of your movement on stage, be sure that you are rooted and stabilized in your diaphragmatic breathing.  You want to be breathing from that core area, not your chest. 

Diction:  “A”
In this sentence the a is an article.  The article a is pronounced "uh", as in duh.  (This also pertains to the phrase, “a lot”).

Example:  There is a (uh) cat.

The letter in the alphabet a is pronounced "ay", as in day.  

Example:  The alphabet begins with the letter a (ay).

Diction:  “The”
If it comes before a consonant it’s pronounced “thuh”, as in duh.

Example:  The (thuh) dog is running.

If it comes before a vowel sound, it’s pronounced “thee”.  (This also pertains to the silent “h” as in honor).


Example:  The (thee) elephant is sleeping.


These are a few of the major points of vocal technique to get you started.  Look for more information in the future! : ) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Words of Life

This blog is a snapshot of my life as a born-again woman who has been walking with the Lord since I was a teenager.

I had the privilege of living in Israel for two years where I worked and attended graduate school. That experience enriched and transformed my faith.

The impact of living in the land of the Bible was so profound that I wanted to share my insights with others.

My writing is from a Hebraic, spirit-filled perspective that highlights the application of biblical principles.

It is my desire that those who read my entries will be strengthened and stabilized in their walk with the Lord.

Welcome

Thank you for stopping by! : ) If you are seeking a change in career, ministry, etc. and would like to read along as I document my journey, I suggest that you start with my first post.

Please email me with questions and comments that you might have. Also, if there is a particular topic that you would like for me to write about let me know.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP