I'm Going to Carolina--I Mean, ISRAEL--in My Mind

 Monday, March 12, 2012

     In just a few short minutes my friend, Donna, and her husband will touch down in Tel Aviv, Israel.  This will be their first visit among many, I predict.  My husband and I have had them constantly in our conversation this past weekend as we counted down their arrival.  And, all morning I have been preoccupied with the sights and sounds that await them as I remember what it was like living there ten years ago.  And, today part of me lives vicariously through Donna and her husband.


     I have to admit that up until now, I've had a hard time rejoicing with those who went to Israel, either to visit or live there.  That's terrible, I know!  But, it's only because I missed Israel so much, and it broke my heart to have to leave.  If you've ever lived there, or even just visited, you understand what I'm talking about.  And, for me, there is no where else like it; no other place can, or ever will compare to its lifegiving essence.  Sadly, since my departure, an unrelenting sorrow has laid heavily on my heart; its remedy has eluded me.


     Yet, this time I truly rejoice with my friends.  It's a little bit like that James Taylor song, "Going to Carolina in My Mind".  But instead, this Carolina girl is going to Israel in her mind.  And, today it feels as if a heavy blanket has been lifted off my heart.


     A funny thing about my friends' visit is that it is a direct result of their coming in contact with me.  It was just over a year ago that Mr. McCormick, my career counselor, referred me to Donna.  He felt she'd be an encouragement to me.  I didn't think much about it at the time, but that connection became a live wire.  And, its sparks perpetually burn and wildly fly, extending all the way around the world.  Perhaps one day I will tell you more about that connection.  It's a divine one, indeed. 


      There is a saying in Hebrew that regulates my life, "Tikkun Olam".  It translates as "repairing the world".  I believe that it articulates in our lives as a passion, a drive that we know comes from God.  We know He put it there, and we know He stewards it in us. 


     We don't always know who sees, who gets it, and who it's for.  But, today God gave me a gift, like a precious rose that continues to open and release its fragrance.  He's telling me--no, showing me, that it's not in vain.  Carrying this torch, this flame, is not in vain.


     There are many things that are at the heartbeat of God.  As believers we've all been given a mission--a calling to carry His flame.  Mine includes Israel.  


     According to the sages, God poetically hides Himself, waiting for us to find Him.  For me, as I sought Him, I encountered Israel (and the Jewish people).  And, in them was He.  Matter of fact, He showed Himself to be more brilliant and illuminated than I ever imagined.  


     And, from there I began to develop a more firm, stable foundation for my faith to stand.  And for the first time in my life as a believer, I saw the Root that holds me (and this whole universe) together and gives us all life.  And, of course, I've never looked back.


     Tonight my heart sends out a Psalm to Donna and those who travel with her.  It says, "Oh taste and see that Yahweh is good; how blessed is the one who finds refuge in Him."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Words of Life

This blog is a snapshot of my life as a born-again woman who has been walking with the Lord since I was a teenager.

I had the privilege of living in Israel for two years where I worked and attended graduate school. That experience enriched and transformed my faith.

The impact of living in the land of the Bible was so profound that I wanted to share my insights with others.

My writing is from a Hebraic, spirit-filled perspective that highlights the application of biblical principles.

It is my desire that those who read my entries will be strengthened and stabilized in their walk with the Lord.

Welcome

Thank you for stopping by! : ) If you are seeking a change in career, ministry, etc. and would like to read along as I document my journey, I suggest that you start with my first post.

Please email me with questions and comments that you might have. Also, if there is a particular topic that you would like for me to write about let me know.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP